Sunday, February 28, 2016

Debunking EoC: Abilities & "Exciting" Combat

Short post.

EoC is nothing compared to other MMORPG.

With abilities, RS is still capable of afk combat.

With abilities, RS is still a "statue vs statue" type of game.

Abilities are cheap knock-offs of real mmorpg.

Abilities remove what was unique about RS.

Jagex is trying to modernize a 2002 game and compare it to 2012+ games.

Playing Blade & Soul and other action combat games really made me realize this.

Runescape has its silly grid based ability for mages or rangers or something that makes you move back 4-5 squares.

Meanwhile B&S is a free-explore action combat with a full 3D movement backstep.

And all of its cooldown skills seem quite compelling so far, at least on my assassin.

People either like or dislike the RS2 combat system. Actually, I'd venture to say that a lot of people liked it. A lot more than they like the EoC.

People who like it will find it exciting in its own way. I found it exciting in its own way. It's something I would still play if it existed, despite me recently starting Blade & Soul.


You can't see it in the video, but I was so excited that I oopslolwut. Near the end of my Runescape career I was doing the caves with melee in full Penance armor and tribridding the Fight Kiln.

Jad was fun. Fight Kiln was fun. PvM was fun. Minigames were fun. PvP was fun.

Jagex merely wanted to try and rope in the people who were never interested in Runescape in the first place, the people who think Runescape looked boring compared to other MMORPG.


I still miss this gameplay. I know I'm using claws in this vid, but I still liked the combat for years before I had claws and for years before they existed in the first place. I loved turmoil and soul split. It felt like such an accomplishment to have obtained them.

Oh, I also miss the inventory icon and 3D model of those claws. I do agree that they were OP for a level 60 weapon, and have posted a bunch on the OSRS forums about how to rebalance them. Something that may be better for 2011scape, as a lot of OSRS suggestions are.


If I want to play an ability based game... I'll play Blade & Soul. Even playing that continuously gets a little tiring. But Runescape doesn't, it's not a constant effort to spam abilities. I'll always come back to ye olde' Runescape gameplay.

At least, if I could. 5 years and I'm still fighting for it from time to time.

Quitting Runescape after the release of EoC not only showed me how inferior the EoC is to modern MMORPG... I appreciate and miss what RS2 used to be even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment