Saturday, February 21, 2015

Rebirth

Hey guys. I recently had motivation to open a blog and post the random philosophy stuff I discuss with scientists and hackers and mathematicians and schoolchildren and whatnot.

Just so you know, this blog is one I made as part of a college course, so every post before this one isn't really typed in a way I normally would. Now that I'm recycling this blog for other stuff it doesn't matter as much so yeah.

I'll start with an update on the information in the previous posts.

In the last post, TF2Data was still in its "slow with low traffic" stages. Ever since around Christmas of 2014, just outta nowhere, we got a lot of players and since then have been seeing a consistent 15+ players everyday, which is amazing progress.

I had been keeping the servers alive for months until then by programming paid private Sourcemod plugin requests, as I did not have a job. I had also been programming a ton of stuff for the servers and now have three open at all times. Since my last posts, I now have an automatic donor system up and finally feel like I've made enough fun features to properly offer donor perks in the first place. Now that there are consistent player counts in my servers, I also have enough donations to keep the server running on its own.

On top of that, I have my first job now. It seems that TF2Data's future is set. (At least as long as TF2 lives). Currently I can only run 3 servers though. I associate each server with a 3 letter code.

(Clicking the link shows statistics / graphs on the daily player counts)
VSH - Versus Saxton Hale
SNP - A Sniper only server
TDM - Team Death Match Hightower

Which are all server setups I made because they are game modes that I can play for months without getting bored.

In particular, SNP seems to be one that does well on its own. I'm glad too, cause I like sniping in any game, especially fast paced sniper vs sniper only stuff.

I'm glad VSH is doing well now, as it had long been my goal to be able to play a good VSH server with lots of updates that doesn't leave half of every class's weapons useless and that can be updated as I wish. I grew very tired of the old community I played VSH on due to its ad-hoc management and large amount of drama, as well as the lack of updating.

Sadly it seems TDM is past its time. At first it was my only server and was doing well, with 15 players daily. But after going through my servers closed altogether twice for almost half a year each time, it's just dead. Nowadays if I'm lucky, it can piggy back off of the players SNP and VSH brings though. So it won't be going immediately. But it's also the first for me to trade out for another server if I decide to.

Overall though, TF2Data is doing well. So well infact, that I just repeated the fact. Anyway, I should also mention that I believe it's at a point where it will not be going down for multiple months again, any time soon. I wouldn't even be allowing people to donate if that were the case (and infact is what I did in the past).

Also yes, I do read everyone's posts in the TF2Data steam group's discussion boards. I consider every weapon suggestion and whatnot.

By the way, did you know you can post comments on this blog.

1 comment:

  1. But who even posts comments in a blog that has barely been viewed?

    Oh wait.

    ReplyDelete