Saturday, February 21, 2015

SRPP: The Nature of Dreams

Do you ever think much about the nature of dreams?

My idea is that dreams you experience are just the product of parts of your brain activating that allow conscious perception, while your brain is sorting through memories like it normally would while asleep. Although you are not really sensing sight, you are still interpretting what you think is sight, based off of memories. I notice I often dream about things I am currently thinking a lot about. I often have dreams about video games. Specifically TF2, Runescape, and Portal. I have dreams about Harry Potter, and it was a huge series which I have read all the books of. I also have many dreams about cuddling. I also dream about the cornfields and neighborhoods around my area. Probably cause every bus ride I see cornfields. I also have a specific recurring dream/nightmare about one of my fears of a habit I want to to change.

Dreams are not mystical
Dreams are not "random"
Dreams do not have "special meaning"

A person may only perceive that it has special meaning if they bend their thinking to believe that Dreams are only manifestations of things people have already experienced. Blind people have been found to dream about sounds, and not sights. Even people who become blind later.

To copy paste from another thread of mines: I do not agree with the way the 'subconscious' is defined and explained to people. I do not believe it as some sort of inner level of consciousness that works without us realizing it. What I do believe in is that we have physical memory, much like a computer does, which explains why we can have memories by not be able to access them. I do believe that our neurons work together to retrieve and sort such information to form for us our consciousness and thought processes. It is not some form of inner-thinking, but is all just our neurons working in our head the same way a processor works in a computer. It doesn't 'have thoughts', it just transfers them around to where they can be outputted or in a human's case, consciously recognized. These assumptions purely only came from the knowledge that our mind is affected by electrical impulses between neurons and chemicals and comparison with how computers work. I have no other or deeper knowledge of actual neuroscience.

I claim that our brain just processes information in some parts of the brain while other parts are controlling perception and consciousness, and that hallucinations may be the result of conscious perception being mixed with what you call "subconscious" processing. It is possible for people to still experience pain while "put under" for anesthetic operations. This is because parts of their brain that allow conscious perception of pain were not "put under" while everything else was.

Lucid dreams perhaps follow the same principle. Increased "control" during them in people who play video games may because people have more "memory" or situations in which they control another "avatar".

Dreams are only messages if you try to take a message out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment